'04 Ford Sport KA SE | Unichip Tuning
- Ahh, the Ford KA. The choice of vehicle for your grandmother & budding new drivers alike (including myself back in the day). The standard edition (1.3L) was immensely popular during the naughties, with a few of the 1.6L Sport KA's also in the mixer on the UK roads. You'll still see them knocking about - just not many like this one we've got today.
Above: This Sport KA weighs less than a mouse's shoebox.
- This one's particularly special. It's had a small handful of modifications thrown on, including an air filter & a custom exhaust system fabricated by us, too. From this, it's also (obviously) had a Unichip Module installed, to create a refined and personalised tune for this track inspired KA. In case you haven't noticed already, 90% of the interior is missing, too.
Above: Tidy work. There's a video of how it sounds below...
- This specific application of the Unichip is our most common type of installation. Typically, the cost of creating a truly "custom" remap on the vehicle's existing ECU is out of the question; the labour costs will be immense. On the other foot, the standalone ECU option is far too costly - the unit itself is likely to be worth 3x the vehicle's value, and we haven't even touched on dyno time...
With Unichip installations starting from £450+VAT, in this instance, you can't find a tuning solution of this calibre for a better price. If you're looking for a personalised tune whilst keeping costs low, the Unichip is for you.
The Tuning Process | '04 Sport KA
- As with all of our installations, the tuning process starts with a thorough inspection of the engine & surrounding components, to ensure that the vehicle & it's aftermarket components are able to handle the extra power we intend to tune for. It's then strapped onto our Dyno Dynamics 4WD rolling road for a quick power run, to establish what power the engine's currently producing.
- Once we're happy, the Unichip Module is then installed between the ECU & the vehicle's engine sensors. In this instance, the Unichip X Module was used.
Above: Has anyone ever taken a better shot of a KA?
- Once installed, the Unichip is then live-mapped on our rolling road. With access to over 55,000+ tuning tables, we're not only able to create a polished tune specific to the vehicle, but do it quickly, too. This, in turn, keeps the tuning process from getting too costly.
Above: We love it.
Ford SportKA | Unichip X | Tuning Results:
- Using the Unichip X Module, our tuners managed to extract 122.0HP @ 6,200RPM & 115LB-FT of torque @ 3,000RPM.
Above: Unichip Q+ Tuning Results...
- Taking into consideration that the SportKA made 93HP & 100LB-FT of torque from factory and only minor engine modifications made prior to the installation, this is a great result. It doesn't sound like much, but there's actually been a 31% increase in horsepower - which will definitely be felt the next time the client hits up the track!
- Couple the Unichip tune with the serious weight reduction and you've got yourself a serious little racer.
I'm calling this one... the KAterham. *groan"